Date:      Fri, 21 Dec 2007 16:39:36 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Controlling HAL

Kevin Oberman wrote:
> In a recent posting, Joe wrote:
> "you either need to live with them, stop using hal, or tell
> hal to stop probing that device."
>
> This started me thinking about some annoyances I regularly have with HAL
> that probably are just a matter of not understanding how to work with
> HAL and gamin.
>
> First, how does one tell hald to stop probing a device? I have two
> slices on my boot disk that I don't want HAL to touch. The only
> documentation I could fine said to put entries for such devices into
> fstab and flag them 'noauto'. I did that, but they are still faithfully
> mounted every time I start Gnome.

You can ignore devices by creating .fdi files that set the ignore
property to true for certain devices.  There is a README that installs
with HAL that gives one example, and this has been talked about on this
list before.

> Second, and possibly related, if I plug in an ATA disk and attach it
> with atacontrol(8), it is not mounted. lshal (output below) shows the
> disk. I can issue a mount(8) command' 'mount -t msdosfs /dev/ad2s1 aux2'
> and it mounts fine. If I then dismount it, HAL politely mounted it on
> /media.
>
> I'd like it to mount when the device is created.

You'll need to provide the debugging information that is documented in
the FreeBSD GNOME FAQ.  However, I don't have any removable ATA devices
which which I can test.

> I have modified hal-fixed-mount.privilege to allow mounting of fixed
> disks, but I am unclear what determines what a fixed disk is. I do see
> that the disk is marked as 'storage.removable = false', so I guess hal
> sees it as fixed.
>
> Is there any way to make gamin stop monitoring a device? I often want to
> dismount a device only to be told that it is busy. fstat shows that
> gam_server is still accessing it. Often I can get it to stop by closing
> any nautilus views of other parts of the file system, but on some
> occasions, I simply can't get it to unmount. This may also be linked to
> the addition/removal of ATA disks. I suspect that the system simply does
> not expect ATA disks to come and go.

Gamin should not prevent devices from being unmounted.  Gamin does,
however, monitor your home directory.  So if you mount devices under
your home, then you may have a problem.  All hal-managed volumes mount
under /media so this should not be a problem.

> Finally, is there a reason that mounting a geli encrypted device (this
> includes the "geli attach") should cause the HAL and friends to try to
> mount all of the already mounted partitions on my boot disk? ('/',
> '/usr', '/var') This behavior has come and gone with updates to HAL and
> the latest port upgrade of hal has returned it. It's only an annoyance,
> though.

I don't use GELI disks, so I really can't comment.  I also don't have
hal configured to allow me to mount fixed disks.  That said, volumes
that are already mounted should not be remounted by hal.

Joe

--
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team	::	gnome@FreeBSD.org