Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 1997 02:50:03 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        "Joe \"Marcus\" Clarke" <jmcla@ocala.cs.miami.edu>, webmaster@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New ports

> The ports tree changes too fast on a daily basis to flag the changes in
> the www heirarchy (although our esteemed webmasters may have a different
> opinion).

I think a "what's new" page is definitely a reasonable thing, though
making it for the ports collection alone might be less powerful than
simply building an idea of "newness" into the web page build process
itself.  At the very end of the build, those files which were newer
than the others would be assumed to be changed somehow and an special
"what's new" index built as the very last thing done.  Perhaps you
could search for <label> tags in each changed file and build a list of
new references that way, I dunno.

As our docset grows, having some way to quickly index it by date
or content does seem a very reasonable goal.

						Jordan