Date:      Mon, 03 Jul 2006 18:04:48 +0800
From:      David Xu <davidxu@freebsd.org>
To:        Michael Vince <mv@thebeastie.org>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org, Hugo Silva <hugo@barafranca.com>
Subject:   Re: MySQL 5.0.22 , FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE: Benchmark

Michael Vince wrote:

> Hugo Silva wrote:
>
>> Today I decided to benchmark MySQL 5 performance on FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE.
>> This server is a Dual Xeon 2.8GHz, 4GB of RAM and 2x73GB SCSI disks
>> that do 320MB/s
>>
>> For all the tests, I restarted mysqld prior to starting the test,
>> waited for about 1 minute for it to settle down, and ran super smack.
>> For the consecutive runs, I executed super-smack right after the
>> previous run ended.
>>
>> Switching from HTT to no HTT was achieved by
>> machdep.hyperthreading_allowed, and switching from/to
>> libpthread/libthr was done via libmap.conf.
>>
>> System:
>>
>> FreeBSD ?? 6.1-STABLE FreeBSD 6.1-STABLE #3: Mon Jul  3 03:10:35 UTC
>> 2006     ??@??:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/DATABASE  i386
>>
>> Here are the results:
>>

>> MySQL 5.0.22, built with BUILD_OPTIMIZED=yes and WITH_PROC_SCOPE_PTH=yes
>>

>> === 4BSD + libthr + HTT on ===
>>
>> Run #1
>> connect: max=4ms  min=1ms avg= 3ms from 10 clients
>> Query_type      num_queries     max_time        min_time        q_per_s
>> select_index    200000      0           0           20405.86
>>

> I think that this, does show impressive scaling to actually see
> performance increase with HTT enabled, from what I have seen on
> benchmarks on many hardware sites testing on MS Windows is that on the
> average best you get is an extra 5% performance out of HTT per core.
> I don't have any quad core machines either, but my dual CPU Dells that
> are around 3.[46]ghz get score of around 25,000
>
> The other promising benchmark I saw on per CPU scaling was a few months
> ago with a posted super smack benchmark on a -current box that was
> getting a score of around 60,000 on a slightly better Quad core AMD64
> machine which proves consistent scaling per core, which as far as my
> memory goes shows good scaling when entering the 4+ core arena on MySQL.
>
> Mike

Actually, with proper scheduling behaviour, HTT is usefull,
I saw very high performance boosts when running sysbench :

sysbench --test=oltp --oltp-table-size=1000000
--mysql-host=192.168.82.170 --mysql-user=test --mysql-db=test
--oltp-read-only --num-threads=256 --max-requests=10000 run

This benchmark runs on my Dual XEON (2.8Ghz, HTT enabled), when the
scheduler is SCHED_CORE, it only requires 30 seconds, while a 4bsd
scheduler needs 52 seconds, last time, I wrongly wiped some code in
SCHED_CORE (which is now in tree), performance is degraded.
I need some time to make the scheduler works properly.

David Xu