Date:      Wed, 03 Jun 1998 18:46:52 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New port with DES stuff

> If the code was written outside the US, it should be OK for you to do
> this.  There are two unrelated mainstream problems:
> (a) Crypto may not be exported from the US.  If you download it, I
>     believe you're in violation of the trade agreements.  (I've no
>     idea how this apply if you download it off somebody that has
>     already broken the agreements...)
Hmm.. I just realised that its a UK site, but the DES code was written in the
US origionally?!

> (b) RSA is patented in the US, so americans can only use the RSAref
>     implementation.  The problem expire in a +- 1 year (but there
>     might be other PK patents that still apply).
Even better, no one in the US can download this..

Well.. Sounds very confused.. I am :)

Can someone else clear this up?

|Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer for Genesis Software |
|http://www.gsoft.com.au                                            |
|The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to|
|choose from. -- Andrew Tanenbaum                                   |