Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 2000 14:17:37 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Drew Tomlinson <drewt@writeme.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: What Is config> During Boot?

Drew Tomlinson <drewt@writeme.com> types:

No, that's not the case. The system has to have this information from
*somewhere*. The places that it tries are the driver defaults (if
available, and won't work here), via pnp (again, it won't work here),
from the config file at build time (i.e. "device ed0 at isa? ..."),
and the userconfig stuff you saw.

> That someone would be the installation program.  :)  I didn't know ANYTHING
> about Unix or FreeBSD before I installed this system in September.  But I'm
> learning...  Thanks for all of your help!!!  So you think that the ultimate
> problem is an IRQ conflict?  If I remove ed1 NIC, is there some way to scan
> the system and see what is available?  Is vmstat -i a good option?

I usuually use dmesg. You might check the BIOS setup as well, to see
what it can tell you. But the only thing I know of that will make it
time out if it shows up in dmesg with the right values is not getting
interrupts. That doesn't mean it won't be something I don't know of,
though.

	<mike