Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:17:28 +0200
From:      Walter Hop <walter@binity.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Fair bandwidth sharing with ipfw?

Hi all,

I've used dummynet pipes for bandwidth management, which is working out
pretty well. Still there is a scenario I haven't dealt with:

I want to connect my apartment to an ADSL line (256k/1024kbit) through a
FreeBSD natd+ipfw router, and share the bandwidth fairly between the
housemates, so that:

1] When only one of the workstations is busy, it can use 90% of the
   available bandwidth.

2] When multiple workstations are up/downloading, the available
   bandwidth is divided more or less equally between the workstations.

Now in many situations, this balance will appear automatically; but I
noticed by tcpdumping that sometimes one station occupies most of the
bandwidth while other machines are all stalled -- their transfer rates
get back to normal levels when a busy machine is ipfw'ed down.

Is this possible with ipfw (ipfw queues perhaps)?
Thanks. :)

walter

--
 Buy goods, earn cash, and shop 'til you drop in our member stores.
 walter@binity.com | +31 6 24290808 | http://www.binity.com/~walter/pgp/