Date:      Mon, 6 Jul 1998 13:24:06 +0100
From:      "Richard Savage" <r.savage@dial.pipex.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   PPP and

Hi!
I am a new user of any form of UNIX. I have installed FreeBSD 2.2.5 as a
dual boot on my P.C. (a P233 with an external 56KFlex modem) and seem to be
having a problem with PPP.

I connect to the internet using an ISP(Pipex Dial) with CHAP authentication
and dynamic IP addressing. PPP is set up in -auto mode at startup, and is
started by bringing up PPP, and then typing "dial provider".  PPP will
dial, login and give all the correct messages and seems to work perfectly
well - I can ping  Pipex fine.  I also know that it is possible to log into
my ISP this way, as I did have RedHat5.0 on my system, which also
connected, and I could use Netscape, etc.

The Problem: no software will connect; for example, Mosaic just gives an
error. FTP does not connect. When installing a port using Pib, no internet
connection is seen, and it requests that I retrieve the port by hand. In
fact,  after logging in, my modem, although connected, displays no
signals(other than ping). I have a two machine LAN at home,and I can ping
my other Win95 box as well. 'routed' is disabled.

The question; Have I done something wrong, or do I have to enable anything
else to allow this connection?

Any help will be gratefully appreciated,

Richard Savage.