Date:      Sat, 1 Sep 2001 11:19:49 -0700
From:      Chip <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: replacing a cisco router with a fbsd box

On Saturday 01 September 2001 11:03, Joe Clarke wrote:
> > more ram for it and see if that helps.
> > I am also looking into the possibility of using it for routing only and
> > adding a FreeBSD box to handle natd/firewall. Maybe taking those off the
> > router will have a positive effect on it?
>
> I realize I'm coming in a bit late on this, but I work for Cisco TAC, and
> can say that with the recent Code Red thing, our NAT has seen a lot of
> work.  There have been bugs filed to be sure.  Offloading NAT from a
> router with a small amount of RAM will improve packet flow to be sure.  In
> fact, if you're experiencing lock-ups, I'd try that.  It may help you
> isolate the problem.  FreeBSD's NAT is pretty good for most standard
> protocols.  I've found it's relatively easy to add support to.
>
> Also, if you do find yourself having to reload, see if you're getting any
> tracebacks.  Do a show ver or show stack, and see what you can see.  Those
> memory addresses can be useful for tracking down bugs.
>
> Sorry that I'm late on this, but if you need some Cisco-related questions
> answered, please feel free to ask.  I can't get you new hardware, or set
> you up with a CCO account, but maybe I can point you in the right
> direction.
>
> Joe Clarke

Thanks for the offer of help Joe, I'll keep that in mind for future
reference. I have now pretty much decided to talk to my boss about moving the
nat and firewall off the router and setting up another fbsd box for those.
Just as an aside, right now I have fbsd box running apache/php/mysql and
sendmail. Where I work we have 9 NT servers and the one fbsd box I was
allowed to set up and use for development of our web site, but I have slowly
added more functionality and made it an integral part of our system.

Regards,
Chip Wiegand