Date:      Sun, 4 May 1997 13:34:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bryan Liesner <bleez@netaxs.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.2.1 CDROM installation problems

I recently got tired of installing my system via ftp, so I broke down
and subscribed to the CDROM distribution.  When it arrived, I tore open
the box and installed 2.2.1 over 2.2.  The installation went flawlessly,
as usual (for me anyway).  After rebuilding the kernel, I decided to
check out some of the packages.  Initially, sysinstall refused to mount
the cdrom drive, but after a few tries it did mount.  I was able to
install some of the packages, but only one at a time.  After installing
one package and going for another I got this error:

matcd0: Illegal data mode for this track while reading block xxxxxxx

OK, so I used pkg_add and tried to install manually. Same problem.
Also, if I tried to install a package with dependencies on other packages,
the first package would install, and then it would bomb out with the above
error, when pkg_add went for the next file.

I'm using a Matshushita CR563 CDROM drive attached to a SB16 card.
I never had problems reading other cdroms.  This problem is also
occurring with the live file system CD that was sent along with the
install CD.

Anyone have a similar problem?  Is my drive hosed?  Is there a problem
with the matcd driver?

 ____
|  _ \
| |_) | |  | |_| | (_| | | | |     = Powered by FreeBSD =
             __/ |
            |___/