Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 12:06:28 +1000 (EST)
From:      dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Routing Question

Sending this from Windows application by name of Sendmail ... hopefully it won't mess stuff as badly as Outlook does for people who receive stuff in Pine ..... I'd appreciate any comments on readability from those who read this

I'm hoping someone on this list might be able to shed some light on
my current problem ... complete info below

I've been reading the FreeBSD Handbook and the Network Administrators
Guide searching for info but need a bit of additional explanation

According to the Handbook (16.1 Advanced Routing) "FreeBSD will also add
subnet routes for the local subnet.

I guess the line "203.3.126.128/29    link#1   UC    fxp0" is what the
author meant by that, but I don't understand what is meant by "You will notice no additional interface is specified for those"

The author says "Both these groups (local network hosts and local subnets)
have their routes automatically configured by a daemon called 'routed', If
this is not run, then only routes which are statically defined will exist.

OK .... now I'm fairly certain I don't have a 'routed' daemon but no idea
how to check, however the fact that ICQ doesn't work & I can't tracert external names suggests there is something amiss with my routing table setup

Thanks to the efforts of several contributors here I've got my BSD box
connecting & staying online apparently permanently now ..... browsers
& email clients work from LAN boxes and I can tracert from Win98 LAN
machines to outside IP addresses.

I've still got what I believe is a routing problem thats stopping ICQ connecting
and I figure thats possibly related to an inability to tracert names from
LAN boxes

I'd appreciate any comments on the results of a netstat -nr

default                   203.3.126.1                 UGSc      tun0
127.0.0.1               127.0.0.1                     UH            lo0
203.3.126.1           203.3.126.129             UH           tun0
203.3.126.128        ff:ff:ff: