Date:      Mon, 8 Dec 1997 10:31:13 -0900 (AKST)
From:      hoopty@ptialaska.net
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   gettytab dialups

good grief! ;)

i've been up for days trying to get a dialup to a Practical Pereipheral
28.8 V.FC going.  i have no problems with Null Modems, and other
modems.  are these PP modems know to have problems with FBSD?
they seem to work just fine with DOS stuff.

i've tried every baud rate from

std.9600:np:sp#9600:ic="" blah blah blah:ac=RING\r ATA\r

to 115200.

if i add a "CONNECT" after the ATA\r, i always get an
answer failure.  but that's rare, because my main problem
us just trying to initialize the modem.  i've tried every possible
init string (glued together, and seperated AT commands).

AT&F\r OK\r AT&EQ\r OK\r AT&C1&D2\r OK\r (also &C2/&D3)

also, the exact gettytab man page examples, handbook, and faq stuff.

what seems odd, is that when i boot into DOS and go into terminal mode
after messing around in FBSD, i see that my "RINGS" don't show up,
only "tabs" of about 20 spaces for each "RING".

after doing a at&f, things go back to normal, and the "RING" is
displayed as such.  why isn't the chat script running normally?
even a plain old "" at&f\r OK\r causes "init" errors.

anyone used these modems before?
is the gettytab/chat stuff slightly broken?

thanks.

any advice on further debugging would be appreciated.