Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 1995 21:25:52 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        ROBIN@ptnsct.nis.za (Robin Hunt)
Cc:        bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS hanging FreeBSD2.1.0-950724-SNAP

As Robin Hunt wrote:

> I am using the above version of FreeBSD with NFS. If the machine
> with the remotely mounted driver (running FreeBSD2.0.5-RELEASE)
> crashes - as it does from time to time (either reboots or freezes),
> NFS hangs up the client machine until the server comes back up.
>
> Is this a bug - or is it a setting. I have been through the man
> pages and see nothing about a "soft" link which the HPUX supports...

MOUNT_NFS(8)		 UNIX System Manager's Manual		  MOUNT_NFS(8)

NAME
     mount_nfs - mount nfs file systems
     The options are:
     -i      Make the mount interruptible, which implies that file system
	     calls that are delayed due to an unresponsive server will fail
	     with EINTR when a termination signal is posted for the process.
     -s      A soft mount, which implies that file system calls will fail af-
	     ter Retry round trip timeout intervals.

When passes from mount(8) as a generic mount option, you need to
specify ``-o -i,-s'', as in

	mount -t nfs -o -i,-s server:/dir /mountpoint

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/