Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 1997 21:13:09 +0000
From:      James Raynard <fports@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        jfoster@rocksolid.net
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ImageMagick-3.9.1

On Wed, Nov 19, 1997 at 09:36:05AM -0600, James W. Foster, III wrote:
> I am kind of new to BSD. What all do I need to do to
> install image Magick? I untarred it and the directory
> structure was pretty deep.

Is this the port or the package?  For the package, you don't need to
untar it.  Just type

pkg_add ImageMagick-3.9.1

as root (you may need to be in the directory where the tarball is).

For the port, you've presumably got the source code; you need to get
hold of a "skeleton", which will handle all the nasty details of
patching and compiling the source.  See the Handbook for details.

In either case, ImageMagick needs about half a dozen libraries which
may or may not be on your system, and it could take rather a long
time to download them all if you don't have a fast Internet link...

--
In theory, theory is better than practice.  In practice, it isn't.
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland.   http://www.freebsd.org/~jraynard/