Date:      Sat, 4 Oct 1997 14:32:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Hetzels@aol.com
To:        nate@mt.sri.com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CTM patch level added to newvers.sh

In a message dated 97-10-04 14:16:27 EDT, nate@mt.sri.com writes:

> > I am currently tracking 2.2-STABLE and use the following patch to
newvers.sh
>  > to have my kernel indicate what CTM patch was used to create it.
>
>  We need a solution that isn't specific to the transport medium, or in
>  more specific terms a solution that works irregardless of how you got
>  the bits.

I agree.

One method I would like to see is that the .ctm_status file becomes a
permanant part of the src tree. (Why?) Because CTM deltas are created at
least once every day.  Also, when a site is upgrading a RELEASE system to a
STABLE system, via CTM, they don't have to ask "What CTM version is my
RELEASE?"!  They would know by looking at the .ctm_status file.

As for CVS, since each site can download different parts of the source tree,
it is more difficult to assign a general number to their version.  Unless
they download the entire sources and then the .ctm_status file would be
updated to the latest #.  NOTE: the # may/may not be compatible with the
latest CTM delta, as the src is always updated between CTM delta's.

But, at least this would give people an idea as to how far off from the
sources they are at for both CTM/CVS.

Scot