Date:      Tue, 7 Aug 2001 00:34:58 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems creating 4.4-alpha test/release cdrom

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 11:59:40PM +0200, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 05, 2001 at 11:45:24PM +0200, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> > > All this means is that the bootloader doesn't understand the RockRidge
> > > extensions to ISO9660.  The ISO9660 standard only supports monocase
> > > filenames containing a single '.' and a version number (similar to
> > > VMS).  It should, however, understand that a request for "kernel" is
> >
> > I know that iso9660 is limited this way. But why-o-why did the
> > makecdfs.sh work before and does not anymore?
> >
> > > matched by the file "KERNEL" that it reports - I suspect that there's
> > > a strcmp() that should be strcasecmp() somewhere in the bootloader.
> >
> > In the meantime I also tried the mkisofs on an x86 machine, using the same
> > input directory tree mounted via NFS. setcdboot on the alpha and a new
> > cdrw gave me exactly the same results.
>
> More research done:
>
> can't load 'kernel.old'
> no bootable kernel
> /
>
> Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
> ok ls
> /
>  d  BIN
>  d  BOOT
>  d  CATPAGES
>     CDROM.INF
>  d  COMPAT4X
>  d  CRYPTO
>  d  DICT
>  d  DOC
>  d  FLOPPIES
>
>  [etc ; this above is from my homegrown 4.4PRERELEASE CD]
>
> ok ls
> /
>     ABOUT.TXT;1
>  d  BIN
>  d  BOOT
>  d  CATPAGES
>     CDROM.INF;1
>  d  COMPAT4X
>  d  CRYPTO
>  d  DICT
>  d  DOC
>
>  [ swapped CD disc ; this from a 4.3R cdrom ; known good one ]
>
> Is this a borked loader maybe??
>
> It is definitely not mkisofs [sorry Joerg]

It ain't the loader either:

FreeBSD/alpha SRM CD9660 boot, Revision 0.1
(jkh@beast.freebsd.org, Mon Mar 20 21:08:56 GMT 2000)
Memory: 262144 k
> echo \007\007

> autoboot 10
Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.
Booting [kernel] in 9 seconds...

Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
ok ls
/
    ABOUT.TXT;1
 d  BIN
 d  BOOT
 d  CATPAGES
    CDROM.INF;1
 d  COMPAT4X
 d  CRYPTO
 d  DICT

is what a 4.3R CD boot produces. Apparantly we have uppercase ISO9660
names and no RockRidge interpretation. Educational. Didn't know that.

I've tried getting to 'ok' using the 4.3R cd and then swapping it for
the 4.4-PREREL CD. No luck:

ok boot
can't load 'kernel'
boot: no bootable kernel

Which is not true because:

freebie# ls -l k*
-r--r--r--  2 root  wheel  6298064 Apr 21 21:16 kernel

What am I missing here?