Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2023 21:34:07 -0400
From:      Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: MariaDB startup issue

On Fri, Dec 22, 2023 at 9:24=E2=80=AFPM paul beard <paulbeard@gmail.com> wr=
ote:

> editing the RC script seems like the wrong answer. I have had this proble=
m a few times. Does mysqld_safe run? The couple of issues I have had deal w=
ith the pid file being where the RC script doesn't expect it so stop/start/=
status don't work. Also, the ib* files in /var/db/mysql are often an issue.=
 The logs usually point them out.

> On Fri, Dec 22, 2023 at 5:13=E2=80=AFPM Waitman Gobble <gobble.wa@gmail.c=
om> wrote:

>> I upgraded a server from FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE to FreeBSD 14.0-RELEASE
>>
>> During pkg upgrade it removed mariadb 10.4. I installed mariadb 10.6
>> no biggie. Except I seem to be in a chicken and egg paradox. When I
>> start the message is:
>>
>> Please merge existing /usr/local/etc/my.cnf file with
>> /usr/local/etc/mysql/conf.d/server.cnf
>>
>> OK I did that. I renamed the file to /usr/local/etc/my.cnf.x
>>
>> service mysql-server start says it's starting but actually never
>> starts the server. no error in the logs I can find. I'm obviously
>> missing something?
>>
>> If I use the same command the rc script is executing (WITHOUT
>> '/usr/sbin/daemon' that the rc script uses) I see the error finally!
>>
>> /usr/local/bin/mariadbd-safe
>> --defaults-extra-file=3D/usr/local/etc/my.cnf --user=3Dmysql
>> --datadir=3D/var/db/mysql --pid-file=3D/var/db/mysql/mysql.pid
>> Could not open required defaults file: /usr/local/etc/my.cnf
>> Fatal error in defaults handling. Program aborted
>>
>> OK so i made a blank /usr/local/etc/my.cnf and get this message:
>>
>> Please merge existing /usr/local/etc/my.cnf file with
>> /usr/local/etc/mysql/conf.d/server.cnf
>>
>> So it's a loop. I guess I need to edit the rc script but i think i am
>> missing something? Any ideas?
>>
>> TIA and HH
>>
>> --
>> Waitman Gobble
>> \\
>>

> --
> Paul Beard / www.paulbeard.org/

I agree it's the wrong answer. mysqld_safe runs no problem, the
problem is the rc script bombs if the my.cnf exists but mysqld_safe
seems like it won't start without it.

But I read the documentation and the symlink method should work,
because -f returns true on normal files (not symlinks) while -e
returns true regardless. (the script uses -f)
As long as mysqld_safe is cool with the symlink it should start!
That's likely the best solution instead of editing the rc file. :)

--=20
Waitman Gobble
//