Date:      25 Feb 2002 00:12:37 -0000
From:      erik@www.smluc.org
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/editors/vim Makefile distinfo

"Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net> said:

> [ Shunted over to -ports ]

<snip>

> Running 270 invocations of fetch(1), EACH of which sets up a connection,
> pulls down <5k of data, and tears down, is painful as hell (for the
> CLIENT, and I can't see how it's terribly healthy for the server either).
> On my dialup, it takes 4-10 seconds for each patch, of which MAYBE 2
> seconds is data transfer.  Ideally, of course, I'd learn toward ".tar.gz
> all the damn things together and cut the total size by 3/4" or something,
> but I can see how that could become a management nightmare.
>
> Is there anything we can do to the overall build infrastructure to allow
> fetching a set of files in a SINGLE connection, instead of doing them all
> individually?  Can fetch(1) be taught to handle globs or wildcards, as a
> possibility?

<snip>

I'd think the 'right' behavior would be to invoke a single fetch for each
site, with that fetch having a list of files to get from the site, so if a port has
5 files  on one site and 2 on another, it invokes two fetch instances at the
same time, each grabbing all the files off of each site. Then collecting the
"I couldn't get XXX file" info and walking down the other sites... would this
require a serious reworking of how the ports download files? I think it may
since the port just knows a list of files and a list of sites, with no association.
That's a real pain for a package that requires a lot of packages from a lot
of different sites, putting noise on servers and getting a lot of 'file not found'
stuff. One bad spot for this is the ghostscript-gnu stuff that grabs various
ps and components from all over :/ Vim seems to have a nasty approach
to getting the patches o.O :) I'll shut up now

        -Erik <erik@smluc.org> [http://math.smsu.edu/~erik]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all probability,
they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore may result in
severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep Refrigerated.