Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 2000 21:36:31 +0100
From:      Holger.Weisbrodt@t-online.de (Holger Weisbrodt)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrading 3.4-RELEASE to 4.0-RELEASE

Hi,

I want to upgrade from 3.4 to 4.0. After reading the 'UPRADE.TXT' I
created the floppy images kern.flp and mfsroot.flp. Booting from them,
taking the upgrade option in /stand/sysinstall and setting the
filesystems with no 'newfs flag'. But that's all. I could not backup my
/etc, no /usr/tmp/etc could be found. Other filesystems, same result.
Problems with finding the cd-rom drive, ....
I don't want to install from scratch because with earlier upgrades I had
always problems. I've made a backup and did new installations. But this
time I want for the first time a real upgrade. Could anyone give me some
hints what best to do without destroying my 3.4-RELEASE?
Is it possible to upgrade only /stand/sysinstall and proceed in another
way or what is the best method? How could I use sysinstall? I've found
nothing on the site, only people having the same problems but no
answers.
And always the hint to choose the sysinstall version from the release I
want to have.

Any help is welcome.
Thanks,
Holger