Date:      Wed, 22 Feb 1995 19:32:51 -0600
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: TRUE and FALSE

>1) Programs which are part of the FreeBSD source tree should compile cleanly,
>and use $DESTDIR/usr/include, $DESTDIR/usr/lib and $DESTDIR/anything_else
>for their needs.  This means that a "make world" will be:
>
>        make includes into $DESTDIR/usr/include
>        make tools using /usr/bin install into $DESTDIR/usr/bin
>        make libs using $DESTDIR into $DESTDIR/usr/lib
>        if the "paranoia" option is set
>                make includes into $DESTDIR/usr/include
>                make tools using $DESTDIR into $DESTDIR/usr/bin
>                make libs using $DESTDIR into $DESTDIR/usr/lib
>        endif
>        make all into $DESTDIR
>

>Can anybody explain what the problem is with this ?

A minor point ... The TOOLS are a third level. They are compiled for the
host machine and linked with its libraries. they are NOT the same as the
$DESTDIR/usr/bin that "all" will make in the final step. Therefore, they
must reside in their own tree.

Having said that, I advocate tree folding whenever possible.

When the host machine and the target are the same, or sufficiently similar,
you can simply move the target back into the host tree (after appropriate
testing).

----
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@dataplex.net