Date:      Mon, 29 Mar 1999 11:59:00 +0200
From:      HERBELOT Thierry <Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Seeing new libs in /usr/local/lib? (ldconfig?)

Hello,

Beware of Static/dynamic libraries (your library is .a, so it is static
and must be linked-in at he compilation/linking time, whereas .so
libraries are dynamic and are linked-in at run time : these are taken
into account via ldconfig, which gives hints to the real-time
linker/loader)

So : all your attempts to use ldconfig or LD_LIBRARY_PATH are useless,
you must add a line in your makefile to direct gcc to search for static
libraries (-L option)

	cheers

	TfH