Date:      Fri, 03 Jan 1997 11:10:28 -0700
From:      Scott Halbert <scott@thuntek.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Remote Quotas with NFS

Does anyone know if any of the later versions of FreeBSD support
enforcement of quota on disks mounted via NFS on the *client* side.  When I
tried putting the 'userquota' in the fstab it said it wasn't supported by
the nfs mounter (I think this was on 2.1.5).   I do have quotas turned on
and working on the server.

My user's home disks are on a different server than the one they log into
for shell access, so it is not really possible to enforce quotas there.
This feature doesn't seem to be documented anywhere.  There is a stub for
it in the handbook, but it is yet empty.

I notice that there is an rpc.rquotad available under 2.2-BETA, but not
under 2.1.5.  Maybe this is all that is needed?  I'm not clear on where
quota's get implemented on a distributed file system.  Are they implemented
only on the server after all?  Does an over quota client just get write
errors?  Without the rpc.rquotad, the user cannot run the quota command and
find out what is happening.

Thanks!

---Scott Halbert
Thunder Network Technologies, Inc.