Date:      Wed, 09 Dec 1998 17:31:31 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Russell D. Murphy" <rdmurphy@vt.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD-emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gauss

> Has anyone gotten the linux version of gauss (a math and statistics
> package featuring nice matrix processing capabilities, see
> www.aptech.com) to work under stable?  I have installed the latest
> linux version of gauss (3.2.43), linux_lib-2.6, and 2.2.8-Stable
> (cvs'd around 1:00pm Nov. 30).
>
> Gauss seems to have an interface program (gauss) which calls another
> program to carry out the actual calculations (gex).  Starting gauss
> gives:
>
> ----------
> neale [rdmurphy]% /usr/local/gauss/gauss-3.2.43/gauss -v
> GAUSS Version 3.2.43 (Nov 11 1998)
> (C) Copyright 1984-1998 Aptech Systems, Inc. Maple Valley, WA
> All Rights Reserved.
>
> 10229752 bytes free
>
> (gauss) call ols("",rndu(7,5),rndu(7,1));
> (gauss) x = { 1, 2, 3; 4, 5, 6};
>
> (0) : error G0008 : '' : Syntax error
> (gauss) x = { 1 2 3, 4 5 6 };
> (gauss) quit
> GAUSS terminating...
> neale [rdmurphy]%
> ----------
>
> I've typed four commands at the command prompt; "quit" correctly exits
> and the second matrix assignment (with the ;) correctly indicates a
> syntax error.  The other two commands ("call ols" and "x =") generate
> no output, but the following system messages:
>
> ----------
> Dec  9 15:08:02 neale /kernel: pid 3753 (gex), uid 1000: exited on signal 11
> Dec  9 15:10:32 neale /kernel: pid 3769 (gex), uid 1000: exited on signal 11
> ----------
>
> If you've gotten gauss to run, I'd love to hear how you did it.  If
> you have any suggestions on what might be wrong, I'd love the hear
> those as well.

The gex program's clearly dying painfully.  You should start 'gauss'
under ktrace with:

# ktrace -di gauss

and then feed the ktrace.out file to the linux_kdump utility (you'll
need to install the package).  You should be able to find the 'gex'
program dying in there, and the trace of its activity leading up to
that point would be a good place to start.

You might also want to try the patches for -current that we just posted
here since it's quite possible that the pipe bugs will be causing gex
to become confused.