Date:      Wed, 19 Dec 2018 14:32:38 -0500
From:      Matt Garber <matt.garber@gmail.com>
To:        Brian Neal <brian@aceshardware.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Upgrading 11.2 -> 12.0 on EC2

> On Dec 19, 2018, at 1:24 PM, Brian Neal <brian@aceshardware.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> Thanks, Matt. I did try the update procedure from the handbook and =
found the instance hanging on boot with a repeated socket error. If I =
have to rebuild from scratch, I=E2=80=99d prefer to find some =
jail/deployment-automation so I don=E2=80=99t have to manually rebuild =
everything on each release. FWIW, I did have to recreate the instance =
when moving from 10 to 11.

I=E2=80=99m assuming that error, =E2=80=98sockstat input size =
mismatch=E2=80=99, was encountered during the very first reboot to the =
new 12.0 kernel? In that case, perhaps there=E2=80=99s an EC2-specific =
issue at play, since at that point userland and package updates =
haven=E2=80=99t even come into the picture yet. I=E2=80=99ve performed =
several 11.2 -> 12.0 upgrades on Digital Ocean (KVM hypervisor) within =
the past week without any kernel problems, but in your case the safest =
choice could simply be new instances, one of the things thankfully made =
nicest by the various cloud providers.

I=E2=80=99d also very much recommend looking into some kind of new =
system automation to make things easier for you =E2=80=93 whether it=E2=80=
=99s a full-blown official thing like Ansible or Puppet, or even just =
maintaining a giant shell script which you can use on fresh instances, =
so you=E2=80=99re not having to re-edit config. files by hand each time.

--
Matt Garber