Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 1995 22:52:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jkh@freebsd.org (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org (FreeBSD current)
Subject:   Re: Paul Richards: sysconfig routed setting

Note sure why this was just forwarded to me instead of sent to
at least the -current mailling list, just because I am the one
working in there does not mean these types of discussions should
occur in private email..

> I agree.
Okay, so noted.

``Should'' and ``probably'' are not very convincing words, your already
sounding like you would go mush on this if I blew a couple of quick holes
at it.  Also you give very little technical reason why it should not
be run.  Routed does not require *any* configuration, and does very
very little if anything unless rip packets are on the wires.  If RIP
packets are on the wires you should damn well be sure you listen to
them in one way or another.

I also disagree with your assertion that ``where you should you'll know
about it and go configure it appropriately''.  We have users out there
who don't have a clue about this stuff, don't know what RIP is, don't
need to know that they get there routing information from some gateway
on there network, wouldn't know how to configure it if you told them
it needed done.

Face it, ip address with netmask and a host name go beyond some of the
folks trying to install this stuff now.

Perhaps if sysinstall inforced this 4 point synopsis of what you have
to do to have your host understand routing:

    You either have to have a) a default route, b) run routed in some form
    (the current defaults are good) to pick up rip packets off the wire,
    c) gated (a non-trival thing to set up) or d) no network connection to
    have your system work correctly.

Give those 4 conditions the best default there is to ship the system
with (since you can't do the default route or gated configuration) is
to have routed -q started by default.

If a person sets a default route, they can disable routed.
If a person sets up gated the can disable routed
If a person has no network connection, well, okay, it is wrong
for this one case, they could disable routed if they wanted to
free the process slot and some memory.

IMHO, and evidently CSRG's as well, routed -q should be the default
it covers the widest cases.

If I set the default to ``NO'' belive me there are going to be a
lot of bug reports about people who can not get off there local
network.