Date:      Fri, 09 Feb 2007 00:52:14 -0500
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Michael Nottebrock <lofi@freebsd.org>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HAL on FreeBSD 5.5 redux

--=-gxQmHN4AayAsp4DfidVr

On Fri, 2007-02-09 at 06:34 +0100, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> While regression testing a few new patches for KDE's media kioslave, I fo=
und=20
> out that the FreeBSD 5.5 fix for cdroms as committed to ports doesn't=20
> actually work - because of this code:
>=20
> /* Better to assert here than panic the machine. */
> /* XXX Should this be a conditional?  How likely is this? */
> assert(cdrom->channel >=3D 0);
> assert(cdrom->device >=3D 0 && cdrom->device < 2);

Which assertion is actually failing?  What are the values of
cdrom->channel and cdrom->device?  These assertions are to prevent a bad
value from being passed to the kernel thus resulting in a panic.  If
these assertions are being hit, then the probe should terminate on a
SIGABRT.

>=20
> I don't know what this is supposed to do (avoid using both atapicam & ata=
picd=20
> devices?), but it does prevent detection of any cdrom volumes here when=20
> atapicam is disabled. I have two cd/dvd writers (acd0 and acd1) in this=20
> machine.=20
>=20
> I didn't notice this earlier because I skipped hal-0.5.8-20061224, but I =
did=20
> unless those lines are removed.

There was a recent change that went into HAL to favor atapicam
installations over those without.  I wonder if this could be causing
problems.  Please provide an lshal.

Joe

>=20
>=20