Date:      Thu, 25 Oct 2012 11:03:44 -0700
From:      YongHyeon PYUN <pyunyh@gmail.com>
To:        Yamagi Burmeister <lists@yamagi.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can not read from ZFS exported over NFSv4 but write to it

On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 09:36:02PM +0200, Yamagi Burmeister wrote:
> Hello
>
> On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 17:55:15 -0400 (EDT)
> Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca> wrote:
>
> > > # ZFS
> > > /usr/home/yamagi
> > > # UFS
> > > /mnt
> > > V4: / -sec=sys 192.168.0.13
> > >
> > For ZFS, all volumes down to yamagi must be exported.
> > You don't show what your ZFS setup is, but you either
> > need to export "home" and "usr" if those are ZFS volumes.
> > (The above /etc/exports would be ok, only if /, /usr and
> > /home are all UFS volumes and /usr/home/yamagi is the root
> > of a ZFS volume.) For UFS, non-exported volumes can be
> > traversed by "mount", but for ZFS that is not the case.
> >
> > The only way I know of to fix this inconsistency is to
> > disable the traversal capability for UFS, but that would
> > be a POLA violation, so the inconsistency (caused by ZFS
> > checking exports itself instead of leaving to the VFS layer)
> > remains.
> >
> > OR
> > you can specify the root of V4 in the exported volume.
> > For example, you could:
> > # ZFS
> > /usr/home/yamagi
> > V4: /usr/home/yamagi -sec=sys 192.168.0.13
> >
> > And then the client mount would be:
> > a:/ on /mnt
> > since "/" would be at /usr/home/yamagi. (If you do this,
> > the /mnt UFS volume wouldn't be mountable via NFSv4.)
>
> Okay, I didn't know that. What about adding a small notice to the nfsv4
> (4) manpage to put users into the right direction?
>
> A correct /etc/exports didn't solve the problem. So I took some
> tcpdumps, while analyzing them I noticed that packages send by client
> never arived at the server. After I changed the NIC (I was using a
> rather cheap age(4) onboard NIC) everything worked okay. Apparently
> NFSv4 exhibited a bug in the driver that never showed up before. I'm

age(4) is cheap and consumer grade controller but it shows
good performance on various network loads.  It's much better choice
than using other cheap controllers.

Would you show me dmesg output(age(4) and atphy(4) only)?
And try disabling TSO or TX checksum offloading and see whether
that makes any difference.
I remember age(4) had a 64bit DMA bug but it was fixed long
time ago.