Date:      Thu, 09 Jan 1997 10:24:33 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Niklas Hallqvist: archivers/hpack.non-usa.only

In message <Pine.OSF.3.95.970109120824.7826A-100000@packet.eng.umd.edu> Chuck Robey writes:
: I don't know ... does sys/param.h exist on _every_ last system that has
: unix or __unix__ defined?  If not, the code above is a fatal error, and no
: good.  If it's guaranteed true, it's fine, and I'd use it.

It does seem to exist on almost every unix system today.  I'm in the
process of looking for examples that aren't true.  I'd say that at
least 99.999% of all systems that define unix or __unix__ have
sys/param.h based on my porting experiences.

The Lions book, for example, has a file called unix/param.h, which
matches closely the stuff found in sys/param.h, kinda sorta.  So there
is precidence for this sort of stuff going back a long ways (to V6,
for those that don't know the Lions book).

: Can you make that guarantee?  If not, did you see the thing about using
: .if exists ?

Nearly.  And it would be easy to add exception code for those few
systems that it doesn't exist on, if any.  Almost nobody else in the
unix world has bmake on their system, so that solution is much less
portible by quite a bit.

Warner