Date:      Mon, 7 Sep 1998 10:01:37 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jason@washington.edu>
To:        Mark Cockrum <napalm@halcyon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Packages

On Sun, 6 Sep 1998, Mark Cockrum wrote:

>Ok this is a really "newbie" question, so I hope you
>don't all chastise me for asking this.  I've *just*
>started working with FreeBSD, and i'm trying to install
>some of the packages included on the CD using pkg_add,
>but whenever I use this i can't find an exacutable to
>run what i just installed.  I've tried going over to the
>ports directory for the appropriate directory for the
>package i'm trying to install (ex. going over to
>/usr/ports/misc/mc for the package mc-4.1.27.tgz) and
>runing the make program, but it just gives me an error
>that the package isn't in /usr/ports/distfiles.  When
>i moved the package from the CD into this directory and
>ran the same program (make) it tells me their is a
>checksum error with the file.
>
>I know this is probably a really stupid question, but any
>help would be appreciated!

Please use paragraphs to break up your message. It makes it much easier to
read.

Executables are installed in a number of places.

/bin
/sbin
/usr/bin
/usr/sbin
/usr/local/bin
/usr/X11R6/bin

Chances are that you actually did install packages correctly the first
time and just don't know how to find them. You should have a PATH variable
set in your shell. Try this...

$ echo $PATH

If you don't get anything, then you need to edit your shell's
initialization file. (.profile or .cshrc to name a couple) You should
include the above listed directories in your path.

This PATH variable is directly analogous to the path used in winblows in
the autoexec file.

Also, A package distfile is not the same as a ports distfile. A package
is a precompiled binary. A port is source code. To "make" a file you must
have the source code tarball. (tarballs are *.tar.gz files) If you try to
do make and you have the binary distfiles the make will fail. This is what
you have seen.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/