Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 20:22:45 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
Cc:        Michael Sierchio <kudzu@tenebras.com>, Henrik Holmstam <turbo@lamering.org>, Alfatrion <alfatrion@cybertron.tmfweb.nl>, "Maine LOA List Admin (Brent Bailey)" <brentb@loa.com>, "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFW or IPFILTER?

On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Kenneth Wayne Culver wrote:

> I suppose another big reason that I started using ipfilter is it's
> performance... for me and for what we do through our FreeBSD router
> (with gaming through the nat) ipfw + natd just wasn't cutting it.

	I don't buy that...let's see some numbers people...

	Since everyone is giving their opinions, I might as well share
	mine as well.  Even though, this conversation does not belong on
	-stable.  Hell, it doesn't even belong on -questions.  More like
	-chat or something.  But anyway I'm a big IPFW fan because :

	1) it is simple and straightforward.  IPFILTER has ipf, ipfstat,
	ipmon, ipnat...what a head-ache.  IPFW has ipfw...

	2) IPFW can bring packets out of the Kernel into userland via
	divert...this can be a very powerful interface that only a few
	things use that I know of, one of them being natd.  Of course,
	this could be dangerous too.

	3) It comes as a kernel module.  I'm tired of building a kernel on
	every machine to enable IPFILTER.

	4) Bandwidth control

	5) Bridging firewalls

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>