Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 1996 01:25:57 -2200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: anyone working on upgrading the msdosfs to NetBSD levels?

Terry Lambert wrote:

[...]

(Still digesting other comments. :)

> I can't help with the Unicode stuff given the current state of the BSD
> VFS; my suggestion is to punt, and treat the high byte as zero in all
> cases, converting it to ISO-8859-1 (Latin 1).  This will damage utility
> for anyone outside the Latin 1 scope, but that can't be helped without
> the underlying VFS changes (appologies to non-Latin 1 using countries
> up front).

Agreed.  For completeness, any thoughts on how to handle the
following?

Directory containing 3 single-character DOS filenames 0xc3..0xc5:

   SFN   LFN
   c3    251c
   c4    2500
   c5    253c

AFAIK, DOS filenames containing characters >= 0x80 have never been
much used, or had much practical value.  So extensive special
provision for them almost seems misplaced.

--
Robert Nordier