Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 1997 16:48:17 +1100
From:      Joel Sutton <suttonj@interconnect.com.au>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printing with pcemu1.93pre

Michael,

> G'day Joel; I have your changes in hand 8)

Good stuff.

> > Has anyone done any work on direct printing since 1.93pre ???
> No.

Ok. Looks like I'm going to have some fun in my spare time. :->

> > Would lpr or direct /dev/lpt[n] access be preferred by anyone? Or
> > perhaps both (a'la doscmd) ???
> I would be inclined to have all output sent to a file, and have a
> hotkey of some sort which closes the file and sends it to lpr.  The
> biggest problem is that there's no concept of 'closing' a print job or
> file with DOS.

Right. On that note it seems that giving pcemu direct access to the
printer is the "easiest" way to go - but not necessarily the best
way.

Which key for a hotkey though? Could we consider having one hotkey
which triggers a menu for doing things like closing the lpr pipe,
reseting or whatever? I've seen this done with a dos based AppleII
emulator. That way we only lose one key. It shouldn't be too hard to
setup should it? It could be triggered from the process_events routine.
I'll have a fiddle anyway.

With regard to the problem of the alt key on the tty version of
pcemu - Am I right in thinking that we would need to make a new
syscon kepmap for the alt key to work correctly? Perhaps having some
sort of escape key might be that way to go? (eg ctrl-a c equals alt-c)

I'm good with the questions eh??? :->

Best regards,

Joel...