Date:      Mon, 06 Dec 1999 14:00:27 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Marc Dodsworth <marcd@tpg.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail Question

On Mon, 06 Dec 1999 18:39:36 +1030, Marc Dodsworth wrote:

> My question is - what program do I use so I can sent mail out via
> elm rathen than going back to a gui mail program.  Can Sendmall be
> configured to handle this?

Sure, sendmail just needs to be told the hostname of a smart relay host
to hand over outbound mail to.  As a quick and dirty hack, you can set
this by tacking the hostname on to the end of the DS line in
/etc/sendmail.cf.  For example:

DSsmtp.myisp.com

You may also want sendmail to masquerade so that outbound mail goes out
with the "correct" domain name.  Personally, I think that's a hack and
your MUA should take responsibility for creating a reasonable From
field.

If you disagree with me, you can do something like this:

# who I masquerade as (null for no masquerading)
DMmyisp.com

Ciao,
Sheldon.