Date:      Wed, 1 Feb 1995 06:56:24 -0600
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: sup:  Ok, I'm gonna do it.

>And from this point it's off we go.  If they run the sup interactively,
>they can also be asked if they want to go build from the sources and
>then we can do some sort of `make update' thing.  That's the other thing
>we still need to resolve, but we can get back to it later! :-)

IMHO, there are two things that MUST be resolved.
1) The MAKE procedure must run without any manual kludges. I am working on that!
   Basically, you have to "bootstrap" your way to a set of tools that can
build a system. Then you can go at it.
2) The second problem is that the system must, at least, compile from any
release.

What I would suggest is a bit more "engineering" in the process.

Perhaps we need a two step commit process. Basically, developers commit to
"wanna-be-current". Periodically take a snapshot of this and test to see if
everything compiles. If not, it gets bounced! Things that pass the sieve go
into "current".

It might also be appropriate to have a differentiation between corrections
to a release and additional functionality. I think that many users are more
interested in patches to correct bugs in what they have rather than the
latest and greatest might work code.

----
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@dataplex.net