Date:      Fri, 2 Aug 2002 11:11:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        dan037@yahoo.com (Mr Dan Peck)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RedHat to FreeBSD Migration

> Hello List,
>
> I've been tasked with upgrading a server with
> approximately 5,000 users (at a small ISP).  The
> current server runs RedHat 6.2, and I would prefer to
> run FreeBSD 4.6.1 on the new one, but would need to be
> able to copy the password and group files from the
> RedHat box as we don't have the resources to re-enter
> all of the users by hand.  Any information on
> migrating the passwd/and group files would be very
> helpful.  I'm not currently subscribed to the list, so
> please CC: your responses to me.  Thanks!

You should be able to copy over the group file pretty much as is.
Just make sure there are no conflicts or overlaps eg two different
groups using the same GID or two groups of the same name with
different GIDs.

For the passwd file, probably the easiest thing is to create a little
perl script that reads the shadow passwd file from the LINUX machine
and creates and executes adduser(8) commands on the FreeBSD machine
for each entry.  That way all of the passwd, master.passwd and
password database files will get updated correctly.  Make sure and
throw away all the entries on the old machine that shouldn't be
transferred, such as root and ftp, etc.

////jerry