Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 2014 20:41:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@mail.turbofuzz.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Filesystems <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>, Alexander Motin <mav@freebsd.org>, Garrett Wollman <wollman@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RFC: How to fix the NFS/iSCSI vs TSO problem

Jordan Hubbard wrote:
>=20
> On Mar 31, 2014, at 8:53 AM, Marcelo Araujo <araujobsdport@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>=20
> > I understand your concern about add more one sysctl, however maybe
> > we can
> > do something like ZFS does, if it detect the system is AMD and have
> > more
> > than X of RAM it enables some options by default, or a kind of
> > warning can
> > be displayed show the new sysctl option.
> >=20
> > Of, course other people opinion will be very welcome.
>=20
> Why not simply enable (conditionally compile) it in only for the x64
> architecture?   If you=E2=80=99re on a 64 bit Intel architecture machine,
> chances are pretty good you=E2=80=99re also running hardware of reasonabl=
> recent vintage and aren=E2=80=99t significantly HW constrained.
>=20
I'm actually typing this on a single core amd64 with 2Gbytes of RAM, so
I think enabling it only for both 64bits and at least some # of Gbytes of
RAM would be better. (I agree that most amd64s will be relatively big
machines, but not all;-)

My biggest problem is that I have no way of testing this on a fairly
big amd64 server at this time and I'd be a lot more comfortable committing
a patch that has been tested this way. (I realize that Marcelo has been
running it for his benchmarks and that's a good start, but it isn't the
same as a heavily loaded server.)

I notice that Alexander is on the cc list and I've added Garrett, since
those are the two guys that have been doing a bunch of server testing
(and my thanks go to them for this). Maybe they will have a chance to
test this patch on a heavily loaded server?

Since I do want to test/debug the if_hw_tsomaxseg patch I have, I plan
on inquiring to see if I can use something like the netperf cluster
for this testing (in a couple of weeks when I get home).

rick

> I think it=E2=80=99s also fair to say that if you=E2=80=99re providing NF=
S or iSCSI