Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 2004 22:25:41 +0200
From:      Jorn Argelo <jorn@wcborstel.nl>
To:        dvv <dvv@online.bg>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: Cable management

dvv wrote:

> Jorn Argelo writes:
>
>> Bill Sawyer wrote:
>>
>>> Hey all,
>>> I need to come up with a good solution for managing cables.
>>> Basically, I've got a $500 budget, and about 26 systems to deal
>>> with.  I have ten wires that I'll be dealing with.  The PC sits on
>>> top of the desktop, and cables are fed through a hole in the desk to
>>> a power strip on the ground. All the peripherals are also on the
>>> desk, and those wires are haphazardly spilling out behind the computer.
>>> I know my verbal description won't necessarily help too much when it
>>> comes to picking a solution, but I'd like to hear what products and
>>> solutions any of you use.  Any ideas will be helpful.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bill Sawyer
>>> Information Systems
>>> Six Flags St. Louis
>>> (636) 938-5300 x. 231
>>>

>> Hi Bill,
>> I got a similair problem as you have. Since my sister is moving out
>> of the house I am moving over to her room. Now I reckoned that I
>> should just hang a big cable gutter (gutter, pipe, or however you
>> call those things) right below my desk, and _hopefully_ all the
>> network cables and cables for three PCs fit right in there. If they
>> don't fit all, too bad then, but at least I got a bunch cables away
>> from sight.
>> Anyway, I hope this can help you a bit.
>> Cheers,
>> Jorn
>

> Google/e-bay on structure cabling, patch panels - $100 roughly, nice
> switches - $100-300 or more. The more expensive are managed and are
> better: For example Surecom Switch 24Port10/100 & 2Port10/100/1000,
> EP-726DG-L, Management is a good one. It costs about 300usd in my
> country. Check other options from lower classes - pure 10/100mbit
> managed switches and other vendors also.
> Pick several kinds of colour duck tape to mark the cables  so that you
> can recognize them easily in the panel and a  stand from Home Depot
> to put the boxes on. If you have place for the boxes, spent the rest
> of your budget on  beverages of your taste. You will need them during
> your network setup.
> Enjoy!
> Dimitar

Thanks for your advice Dimitar, but I don't have the money, nor am I in
need a patch panel or a switch of that budget. I am merely a student who
can't afford such equipment. Besides, we just got four PCs in the house
here, so I don't really need an entire patch panel for just four PCs ;)

Main point is, I want to get rid of VGA cables, power cables, PS2
cables, USB cables etcetera. So I have more use of a big cable gutter
then a patch panel.

Cheers,

Jorn