Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 2003 11:58:56 +0000
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.org>
To:        lupe@lupe-christoph.de (Lupe Christoph)
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG

Lupe Christoph writes:
> We had this discussion a while ago. There is no mailing list that
> provides qualified answers to security-related questions. You are
> fighting windmills. These questions will come to this mailing list, as
> long as there is no freebsd-security-questions.

I've been tolerating certain QnA sessions as long as they were
short and somewhat security focussed, with no answer already
available.

> Sorry, I have no idea what needs to be done to start such a mailing
> list. Can people more versed in the FreeBSD mailing list procedures
> please explain how such a mailing list can be started?

Sure. :-)

We are looking at more up-to-date mailing list software. Watch this spot.
I certainly intend to set up a security-questions list.

The need for new software came after I set myself up as list-owner of
this list. 600-700 bounces _per_message_ was not funny. I've manually
removed the more chronic bouncers, and now it its a more reasonable
<100 bounces per posting :-(.

> PS: I have to admit that I'm always confused by the difference in
>     policies between debian-security and freebsd-security. The Debian
>     crowd welcomes all questions related to security while the freebsd
>     crowd seems to be obsessed with policies.

We are not Debian. I can't speak for them. In our case, security@
was a virtual clone of questions@, and most of the security folks
that I know either unsubscribed or scanned the list very infrequently.

I do see the need for a questions list, but I _don't_ want
yet-another-noise-channel. We have enough of those already.

Mark Murray
iumop ap!sdn w,I idlaH