Date:      Thu, 03 Jun 1999 03:49:49 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a two-level port system? (fwd)

> of useless.  It's like doing uphill testing of a fat guy on a bicycle
> against a Lamborghini - you "know" the result beforehand.

Unfortunately, what you're probably not aware of is that the fat guy
also has a JATO unit strapped to the back of his bicycle.  Don't make
assumptions. :-)

> If extraction of the ports collection (not files in general, just the
> ports collection) is slower using soft updates than using "async"
> mode, then it seems some elevator sorting isn't working the way it

Extraction of ALL the distribution bits is faster with async than it
is with soft updates.  To put it another, more practical, way - if you
timed the installation with a stopwatch, with or without ports, the
async policy would win and Kirk has even pointed that out in other
emails.  Given that, I have to honestly wonder why you've been arguing
so strongly for soft updates being used in the installation.

- Jordan