Date:      Wed, 03 Jan 2001 08:59:06 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Graham Wheeler <gramster@mweb.co.za>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   /dev/ad* versus /dev/wd*

Hi all

The other day I wanted to try get my IDE CD-R drive working on FreeBSD 4-S.
I noticed that the old /dev/wd* drivers have been replaced it seems with a
new ATAPI driver, /dev/ad*, which doesn't seem to support IDE CD-Rs; however,
the wd driver is still present but disabled.

Questions:

* what are the pros and cons of these two drivers?

* is it possible to use the new ad driver with an IDE CD-R drive to record?

Sorry if this is old hat. Please reply directly as well as CC the list, as
I am sitting at home on the far end of a slow dialup link today.

regards (and happy new year, everyone!)
Graham