Date:      Sun, 8 Nov 2020 10:46:53 +0100
From:      Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>
To:        gljennjohn@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: update UPDATING after malloc code change

On 08/11/20 06:48, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Nov 2020 00:22:26 +0100
> Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net> wrote:
>
>> On 07/11/20 17:20, Gary Jennejohn wrote:
>>> It seems like an entry should be added to /usr/src/UPDATING, since the change made
>>> to the malloc code causes panics with KMODs from ports if they haven't been
>>> re-compiled.  My nvidia-driver also caused a panic with a new kernel.
>>>
>>> A reminder/warning would be useful.
>>>

>> Why?  Rebuilding kmods every time you update the kernel sources is
>> already required by default.
>>

> No, it's not.  It's an option which can be used, not a requirement.

On head there is no rule about kernel ABI, so any code change could
cause old kernel module to require recompiling.

When it is known it is sometimes written in UPDATING but there's no
requirement.

ON stable branches we have a kernel ABI rule that this should not happen
(but it happens anyway sometimes for many reasons.

--
Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>