Date:      Wed, 3 Mar 2004 09:39:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Freddie Cash" <fcash-ml@sd73.bc.ca>
To:        "Jared ''Danger'' Earle" <jared@23x.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Standard sbc and pcm support in GENERIC kernel?

> Freddie Cash wrote:
>> Something that has always stumped me about FreeBSD,
>> especially about people moving from Linux to FreeBSD, is the
>> belief that one *must* recompile the kernel for sound support.
>> Why??

> Because that's what the manual tells us to do ...
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-device.html

Next time, actually read the links you post.  :)
Quote: To use your sound device, you will need to load the proper
device driver. This may be accomplished in one of two ways. The
easiest way is to simply load a kernel module for your sound card with
kldload(8). Alternatively, you may statically compile in support for
your sound card in your kernel. The sections below provide the
information you need to add support for your hardware in this manner.
For more information about recompiling your kernel, please see Chapter
9.

Note that the first method mentioned is to use kernel modules.  :D

--
Freddie Cash
fcash-ml@sd73.bc.ca