Date:      Wed, 05 Jun 2002 12:33:26 +0100
From:      Anton Bobrov <anton.bobrov@sun.com>
To:        Kurt Seel <kseel@utcorp.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-smp@freebsd.org" <freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Dell poweredge anyone?

Kurt Seel wrote:

>  I have used several Dell uniprocessors with FreeBSD.
> Overall, I like them. I also like Dell's service and
> support (relatively speaking). Is anyone using Dell
> multi-proccessor boxes?

dell precision 410 [2p3] works just fine. quite old
box maybe, but its cheap.

>  Does anyone know if:
>  * the onboard NIC works / is worth a damn?

dell mostly use 3com or intel, most of them are
supported and quite good cards anyway.

>  * the onboard SCSI works / is worth a damn

someone answered this already.

>  * SMP is flawless on this box?

flawless in general terms. kernel sees 2nd cpu
can run something on it, no panics i've seen in
relation to smp stuff, i'm playing with different
scheduler algorithms so tests i'm running usually
involving lots of procs/threads, so in general its
flawless.