Date:      Mon, 03 Feb 1997 13:31:53 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.dk.tfs.com>
To:        tqbf@enteract.com
Cc:        dg@root.com, torbjorn@norway.eu.net, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Critical Security Problem in 4.4BSD crt0

In message <199702031138.FAA21844@enteract.com>, "Thomas H. Ptacek" writes:

>I do have a general problem with a lack of announcement from the
>FreeBSD team about problems (as they're found), [...]

Well, it is to some extent a conflict of interest thing.

If I find a problem in some code, which I have not heard about
anywhere else, I usually commit it with a rather toned down commit
message.

There is no reason to provide free munitions to criminals.

On the other hand, vulnerabilities that have been announced publically
we answer publically with the relevant information.

We could of course loudly praise our own genius and tell the world
every time we fix a problem, but we would essentially sell all of
our users every time we did so.

No easy solution I'm afraid.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@tfs.com           TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Power and ignorance is a disgusting cocktail.