Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 1997 13:29:33 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        uwp@ukrv.de (Udo Wolter)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Amancio's guspnp or Luigi's snd ?

> I never understood, where are the differences of the guspnp-driver (I think
> Amancio wrote it) and the snd-driver (Luigi wrote it). Can anyone explain

[amancio can be more precise on this, but let's wait that he wakes
up -- we are located 9 hours apart on purpose so we can give 24h/day
support :) ]

guspnp (which has replaced the "standard" drivers based on voxware
3.0) is based on voxware 3.5 with lot of FreeBSD adaptation and
cleanups by Amancio and others (e.g. the AWE support was brought
in by Randall i think). In addition to the GUSPnP and the SB16, it
should also support many old, non-PnP cards.  A nice feature of
guspnp is that it supports the synth device so you can play midi
files without eating CPU cycles.

On the other hand, the "pcm" driver (the one in /sys/i386/isa/snd/)
is a complete rewrite of the audio driver, aiming to support newer
cards (mostly PnP and MSS/WSS clones) and with special attention
to multimedia applications.

> which driver I should use for which soundcard ?

the answer is the usual: the one which suits best your needs.
Of course we will be both grateful if you can try your hardware with
both drivers and report success/failure/useful configuration info,
or submit patches.

	Cheers
	Luigi