Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 1996 04:44:59 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@jhome.DIALix.COM>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fvwm2 port conflicts with fvwm

> I just realised that I've made the conflicts between fvwm and fvwm2 worse
> and neglected to mention it.. :-(

Huh!  The conflict must be fairly benign then because I've managed to
switch back and forth between the two with no ill effects.  I'm
running my previous fvwm setup after installing and running fvwm2 for
awhile and it was a no-brainer.

This is not to say that things aren't being incorrectly overwritten,
simply that it doesn't seem to have caused any overt ill effects.

> Is there a "preferred" way of saying to not install the two versions
> at once on the same machine?  (like the different versions of tcl/tk
> which overwrite include files like /usr/local/include/tk.h etc)

That's another example, and actually the pathologies there are very
real - you install one version of TCL and another version of Tk and
some applications will fall over when they start using the wrong
headers.

I think we probably need some sort of conflict checking for this, but
lord only knows how it would work.  I'm open to ideas (being too
sleepy at the moment to really think about it myself - perhaps I will
ruminate on it later on today given that I have 3 hour drive ahead of
me).

					Jordan