Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 09:28:06 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "Petr Holub" <hopet@ics.muni.cz>, "Michael Smith" <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>, <rob@pythonemproject.com>, <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, <jgowdy@home.com>, <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ACPI

On Monday 14 January 2002 05:47 am, Petr Holub wrote:
> > You can't just backport "some" of ACPI; it's like being "a little bit"
> > pregnant.
> >
> > It's not that simple.  ACPI is not a collectino of device drivers, it's
> > an all-or-nothing deal, and we don't even do all of it in current yet.
> > Once you start using ACPI, you basically tell the BIOS you are going to
> > manage it all yourself, you don't get to let the BIOS handle part of it
> > and you handle just the parts you want to handle.
>
> OK :-(.
>
> > And frankly, battery state reporting is probably the least interesting
> > reason to get ACPI into a production release; what really counts (and
> > what is hurting us the most) is system resource management and device
> > configuration.
>
> Well I understant that's developer's point of view. I think user's point
> of view (mine ;o) ) could be a bit different. User is probably very
> interested in when the battery power goes down even if he (or rather to say
> kernel) is not able to reduce power consumption (stand by etc.) or other
> nifty features of ACPI. But now I understand that's impossible to do it
> without the other part.

I'd think it's "less interesting" because APM can report battery state and
suspend and all that basic stuff.  Or is the concern here about about
machines with broken APM?

Brian T. Schellenberger . . . . . . .   bts@wnt.sas.com (work)
                                        http://www.babbleon.org

-------> Free Dmitry Sklyarov!  (let him go home)  <-----------