Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2000 22:56:55 -0700
From:      Dan Debertin <airboss@bitstream.net>
To:        Todd Backman <todd@flyingcroc.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Routing firewall w/ipfw questions

First, as this is not exactly security-related, a better forum for this is
-net (or -questions, but that list tends to have more questions than
answers ;).

Now, on to your question:

> Question:
> Is my reasoning flawed in regards to the routing portion of this setup?

Your subnetting plan looks fine to me. One thing that strikes me, though,
is that you need to have a router on the external side who knows that your
FreeBSD box is the next-hop router for the post-firewall /24. Is there
such a router in your setup? For example, let's say that your firewall's
external interface is 1.1.1.6/29, and the internal is 1.1.2.1/24. There
should be a router with an interface on the 1.1.1.0/29 subnet that "knows"
that 1.1.2.0/24 is reached via 1.1.1.6. In cisco syntax this would be

ip route 1.1.1.0 255.255.255.0 1.1.1.6

or via the UNIX "route" command:
route add -net 1.1.2.0 -netmask 255.255.255.0 1.1.1.6

Also, make sure you have a default gateway on your firewall pointing to
that external router. I am also assuming you've done the basic lower-layer
checks for link lights, cable integrity, etc.

> Thanks for any help you might provide. Upon successful completion of this
> project I will document all *correct* procedures and post as I have not
> found any documentation on setting ipfw up for protecting an internal /24
> with a different subnet on the outside interface.

We've been doing this successfully for quite some time, so I assure you
it's fairly standard ;).

~Dan D.
--

++ Dan Debertin