Date:      Fri, 01 Mar 2002 00:51:02 -0500
From:      "Robert A. Getschmann" <robg567@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Sound on Dell Latitude CP M233XT Laptop...

Hello,

I have a Dell Latitude CP M233XT laptop.  It is currently running FreeBSD 4.5.

I am having some problem with the sound drivers.  It has a SoundBlaster Pro 3.2 chip.

When I am using the "new" PCM drivers I get sound out (i.e. playing mp3s, etc) however the mixer device can't be adjusted.  I can "read" the mixer value via just running "mixer" but all of the values come back as "0".  The sound volume output is therefore at a constant level and can't be adjusted.  Here is what I have in my kernel for this:

  device pcm
  device sbc0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15
  device pca0 at isa? port IO_TIMER1

and here is what is found in the dmesg output for this kernel:

  sbc0: <SoundBlaster Pro> at port 0x220-0x22f irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15 on isa0
  pcm0: <SB DSP 3.02> on sbc0
  pca0 at port 0x40 on isa0

When I use the "old" deprecated snd drivers I can adjust the mixer levels but the quality of the sound is not so good.  Here is what I have for this kernel build:

  device snd
  device sb0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1
  device sbxvi0 at isa? drq 5
  device sbmidi0 at isa? port 0x330

and the dmesg output:

  sb0 at port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa0
  snd0: <SoundBlaster Pro 3.2>
  sb0: driver is using old-style compatability shims

Any help getting sound working (specifically the mixer levels) with the new PCM stuff would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob