Date:      Mon, 08 May 2000 15:54:32 +0900
From:      OKAZAKI Tetsurou <okazaki@be.to>
To:        asami@freebsd.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports projects

In the message <200005021212.FAA46737@silvia.hip.berkeley.edu>
asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi Asami) wrote:

>  @  PREFIX-cleanness (status: (slowly) in progress)

>     I'm thinking about modifying the package build script so that the
>     mid-week (the runs that build RESTRICTED ports and everything
>     since it's not for FTP) builds will run with LOCALBASE and X11BASE
>     set to someplace else.  <snip>

If we consider that GNU configure has its own predefined lists of
directories(*1) to guess where X11 headers and libraries are installed,
the following stuff should be at the apropriate place in the bsd.port.mk.

.if defined(GNU_CONFIGURE)
.if defined(USE_XLIB)
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=	--with-x --x-includes="${X11BASE}/include" \
			--x-libraries="${X11BASE}/lib"
.else
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=	--without-x
.endif
.endif

---------------
*1: See below.

  # Look for the header file in a standard set of common directories.
# Check X11 before X11Rn because it is often a symlink to the current release.
  for ac_dir in               \
    /usr/X11/include          \
    /usr/X11R6/include        \
    /usr/X11R5/include        \
    /usr/X11R4/include        \
                              \
    /usr/include/X11          \
    /usr/include/X11R6        \
    /usr/include/X11R5        \
    /usr/include/X11R4        \
...(bla bla)...
# First see if replacing the include by lib works.
# Check X11 before X11Rn because it is often a symlink to the current release.
for ac_dir in `echo "$ac_x_includes" | sed s/include/lib/` \
    /usr/X11/lib          \
    /usr/X11R6/lib        \
    /usr/X11R5/lib        \
    /usr/X11R4/lib        \