Date:      Mon, 3 May 2004 12:40:38 +1000
From:      anubis <anubis357@optusnet.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Data Storage Plan?

> Does any one have Company-wide (LAN) Data Storage Plan?
>
> My requirement are
> PC Users: 50
> Users OS:  Win 3.1, Win 9x, Win Pro2000, Win XP, Lindows, FreeBSD
>
> My plan is to take weekly backup of 15 PCs as well as company data
> store/file such as Finance/Accounts spreadsheets, Administrator/HR
> documents,  Engineering's drawings, machinist's programs etc.
>
> I know only one thing that ......
> Data Storage Server OS: FreeBSD
> Security Issues: How to Authenticate different users? (Need Ideas)
>
> Please give suggestion which application to use......... like,
> shell I install/set FTP server, HTTP server, SAMBA, etc.
> What kind of hardware to use?
>     RAID: ???
>     IDE HDD: ??? (Is 200 GB enough)
>     Backup Tape: ??? (Tape / ZIP drive)
>     Motherboard: ???
>     CPU: ???
>     CD RW: ??? (Needed)
>
> Help me in visualizing my data storage server. Thanks in Advance.
>
> With Regards
>
> Ajitesh K

One of the main thing you need to do here is ask the right questions=20
from the start. =A0The most important one is "What is my budget?" =A0
Everything hinges on that. =A0Secondary to that is "What kind of=20
redundancy do I want and how much downtime am I allowed?" =A0Thirdly=20
"How am I going to back it up and recover from problems?" Fourthly=20
"How much expansion do I want?".

You can buy new or second hand to save some $$. =A0If money is tight=20
look at the computer auctions. =A0We bought an old compaq dual 450 with=20
a dlt tape drive and scsi raid for about $1000US =A0a year ago. =A0The=20
best thing about old hardware and freebsd is that it us usually very=20
well supported and still runs fast enough. =A0They are cheap enough to=20
buy 2 and use one for parts. =A0Compare this to the new gear we bought. =A0
$40000US for an IBM server and 500GBsan. =A0The tape backup solution=20
for this was going to be$10000.

If you are looking for some kind of spec on a homebrew system Start=20
off using good quality brand name parts. =A0You do want raid. =A0Make=20
sure it is hardware raid and preferably scsi. =A0Use a seperate scsi=20
card for the tape drive if you get one, dont use the raid card. =A0Get=20
a server quality network card not a $10 realtek. =A0Get a decent board =A0 =
=A0
like an intel or an asus or a tyan. =A0Processor wise doling out files=20
doesnt cause much load. =A0Get what you can afford. =A0Min 256MB ram get=20
512. =A0It will all depend on your budget. =A0

Think of the warranty too. =A0Building it yourself can be cool but some=20
manufacturers warranties are not so good. =A0They want to have the=20
part, test it then send a replacement or repair yours. =A0This takes a=20
minimum of 2 weeks from experience. =A0We have a video card in at the=20
moment for warranty and it is 6 weeks and counting. =A0Get someone to=20
build it that will forward RA parts or sit by and wait.

We are a similarly sized company about 60 users. =A0Something that has =A0
worked for us is to make everyone use the server for data file=20
storage. =A0This simplifies the backup of critical data greatly. =A0

Looking at your clients above they will all work happily with a=20
freebsd fileserver running SAMBA. =A0You will want to look at the samba=20
documentation to make an informed decision on user security. =A0For a=20
start you could set up freebsd accounts that would authenticate the=20
workstation users. =A0For a fancier approach you could use open ldap. =A0
It all depends on your skills, money and how much redundany etc that=20
you want.

Size of the =A0file server is going to depend on how much data that you=20
want to hold. =A0We have lots of cad data and the usuall kind of word=20
docs etc. =A0We survived for ages on 50GB but now we are up to about=20
100GB. =A0Your size will depend on how much data will be held live and=20
how much can be archived off. =A0Useage will double every 18 months. =A0
So leave room for expansion.

Backup will depend on money and how many gigs you want to backup.
The more you want to backup the more it will cost. =A0I priced a tape=20
unit to backup 100+GB. =A0It was going to cost about $20000AUD. =A0
Instead we went to removeable ide drives. =A0Dont just back up onto the=20
same one over and over. =A0Rotate them so you will need a dozen or=20
more. =A0Still cost us $5000 AUD. =A0The backup software will be=20
determined by the method you use. =A0Look at rsync, tar, dump, AMANDA,=20
BACKULA...

=46or archiving of data I have found cds and dvd to be good. =A0We make 2=20
copies, on for the offfice and one for the offsite. =A0Number them and=20
list the contents. =A0Users can search the lists and then get the data=20
back themselves.

Archiving is something that you should spend a lot of time on. =A0The=20
more you can strip from the server the less size you need in storage=20
and the smaller backup you need. =A0Costs for your server go down=20
dramatically.

I never backup workstations so I can thelp you there. =A0Ours are fairly=20
static and if one is going bad it usually needs a reinstall of windas=20
anyway.